- Pressure is defined as force per unit area. therefore, the smaller the area, the higher the pressure.
- The SI units for pressure are Newtons per square metre (N/m2), now called Pasals (Pa) ( 1 N/m2 = 1 Pa).
- You can also use Newtons per square cm (N/cm2).
- The pressure between two solid surfaces depends on two things:
(b) the area of contact between the two surfaces.
- The greater the force or the smaller the area the greater the pressure.
- The pressure of a given force increases as the surface area decreases.